Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What is Your Why?

You're traveling or have just met someone... "So what do you do?" Answer... I "________________" fill in the blank. Typically this entails what you do to make money. ie "I am with AT&T", "I am a golf pro", "I am VP at Bank of Brazil". Typical answers to this question. How about mixing it up next time. "I run triathlons and share the gospel every chance I get", "I shuttle my kids all over creation and then figure out the rest." Why not mix it up and get the conversation to the real stuff.
Now for a much bigger question. Instead of "what do you do?" How about... "What is your why"?
Now we're getting tougher. When you hear that question alot of people simplify it or treat is as the motivating factors of what you do. And I challenge you to take that much further. Take it to the beginning. Ask yourself about anything you DO What is your why behind it? Once you answer it ask it again. Challenge yourself.
I work for ABC Company
why
to make money
why
so I can pay bills drive a car have a roof over my head and eat
why
so I can have children
why
so I can love them and take them to swim meets and ball games and and and and
why
so they will be well rounded and grow up and get a good education
why
so they can ..............
why
OK you get the jist. Now take it to the end. I challenge you to try it. If you keep going and going and going, I challenge you to search a little deeper. There is and end, there is and answer.
What is it? Seek, Search, Look!

No comments: